This is the changelog for this document
- General tidy and fixed broken characters in Relational Algebra section.
- Fixes to typos and section nesting.
- Image figures are now handled in a more XHTML way.
- Order of SQL and Data analysis sections switched around
- Embedded SQL rewritten as Application Links with considerable changes
- Introduction changed to have an intro to "what is a table"
- The Unit groupings have been removed
- SQL chapters have been completely rewritten and expanded
- Removed: Data Dictionary (some metadata in new section)
- Removed: DBA (some DBA in new section)
- New: DBMS Implementation. Uses some rewritten notes from
- New: Metadata. Includes material rewritten from security,
plus is expanded to discuss metadata issues and some aspects of the DBA.
- Changes: Normalisation loses 4NF and 5NF, but gains a
simple in-class example
- Exam walkthrough and exam advice removed. This is best done by
picking up a past paper and working through that, or using the
online tests. Do not use the old slides related to the exam walkthrough
(which contained things like assertion/reason questions), as they are
badly dated and misleading.
- The notes are not now available as a word document. All the notes
are kept in html. I will endevour to produce a good quality printable
output of the notes as a pdf, but this technology is limited at the moment.